Top 10 tips for a winning grant application
17 March 2023
Grant funding is highly competitive. Therefore, it is essential to ensure that your application is as strong as possible to stand out above the other applicants. The team at Medipex has a lot of experience in both writing and reviewing grant applications from a variety of funders. Medipex can support with a critical review of your application to a full grant writing and project management service. Here are our top tips for a winning grant application:
- Know the requirements: Before you start writing, make sure you understand the requirements of the grant and the goals of the funding organisation. Read the guidelines carefully and follow them to the letter.
- Criteria and scope: Review and understand the eligibility criteria and attend briefing sessions to ask questions to expand your understanding of the eligibility and scope.
- Demonstrate the need for funding: Provide evidence of the problem and that your solution will address the challenge. Identify known competitors and outline their technologies, and why your innovation is superior.
- Be specific: Use specific, concrete evidence and referenced statistics to support your arguments and make your case stronger. Try to avoid making the reviewer find and read multiple external references, and instead summarise the key points within the application.
- Address potential risks: Anticipate potential risks and provide a plan to mitigate them. This shows that you have thought through the project thoroughly and are prepared to handle challenges.
- Be concise: Be succinct and to the point. Make the application easy to read and avoid using overly technical language and jargon that may not be familiar to the reviewers.
- Show impact: Explain how the grant will have a positive impact on the industry or target customer and what the plan is to continue the project after this particular funding has finished.
- Focus on EDI: Demonstrate how the project will address any equality, diversity and inclusion challenges.
- Highlight your team: Emphasise the qualifications and experience of your team members, and demonstrate why their involvement will lead to a successful outcome.
- Proofread: Finally, proofread your grant application carefully for errors and typos. A well-written, error-free grant application will make a stronger impression on the reviewers.
These tips will ensure you write a grant application which has the maximum chance of success, but keep in mind that each grant is different and may have unique requirements. Make sure to tailor your application to the specific grant you are applying for.
If you’re struggling to write your grant application, then contact Medipex at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn about our expert grant writing service. Let’s get your project started.