Latest NICE Medtech Innovation Briefings
NICE Medtech Innovation Briefings are a new product from NICE to support NHS and social care commissioners and staff who are considering using new medical devices and other medical technologies or diagnostic technologies. The information provided includes a description of the technology, how it’s used and its potential role in the treatment pathway.
NICE Medtech Innovation briefings also include a review of relevant published evidence and the likely costs of using the technology, but they are not NICE guidance and do not make any recommendations on the value of using the technologies. Whether or not to use the products described is entirely the choice of local staff. The briefings will help avoid the need for organisations to produce similar information, so saving staff time, effort and resources.
The latest Medtech Innovation Briefings to be published are:
- The Juxta CURES adjustable compression system for treating venous leg ulcers (MIB25)
- The PediGuard for placing pedicle screws in spinal surgery (MIB26)
- The Prosigna gene expression profiling assay for assessing long‑term risk of breast cancer recurrence (MIB27)
- Xpert GBS test for the intrapartum detection of group B streptococcus (MIB28)
- LipiFlow thermal pulsation treatment for dry eyes caused by blocked meibomian glands (MIB29)
- LARS for reconstructing damaged intra-articular cruciate knee ligaments (MIB30)
- Peptest for diagnosing gastro‑oesophageal reflux (MIB31)
NICE Medtech Innovation Briefings are commissioned by NHS England and produced in support of the NHS 5 Year Forward View, specifically as one of a number of steps which will accelerate innovation in new treatments and diagnostics. It’s hoped that this impartial information about innovative devices and diagnostics will help NHS and social care professionals, and buyers and commissioners of services and with their local decision-making. NICE welcomes any feedback on the Medtech Innovation Briefings, which are available at www.nice.org.uk/Advice.
Sign up to our e-newsletter for all the latest news and updates from Medipex.